g o o d t h i n g g o o d t h i n g

o.0 Ok wow. I'm glad I was't competing against you in '11.

The vibe is super fun and energetic; intricate texture and glitch work and a super bright mix all work together really well.

I would suggest bringing down the B section in texture or volume to create more of a contrast from 1:30 to 1:45; just needed a little breather from the relentless happiness.

midimachine responds:

you DID compete against me in 2011! you beat me by .02 in the grand final D:

also: これは良いこと!

Invisible Magic Invisible Magic

Cheers! Fun song - I love stuff in off kilter rhythms. The little quirky broken lyric phrases support that too.

Only comment is that the vocals felt like they were mixed for a hard rock ballad; they are very forward. That's cool if that's what you're going for. People may be expecting more of an alternative kind of vibe given the intro.

FinnMK responds:

That's a really good piece of advice, thank you. Certainly the vocal mix is suited to the last half where things pick up but I now realize I could've made it fit the instruments of the first half better. I'll keep it in mind!

Circutronics - NGADM Circutronics - NGADM

Very nice mix; Tons of ideas going on but woven together well. Good voice leading which covers for some unusual chords.

Spadezer responds:

Thanks, and good to hear. Glad you enjoyed it.
;)

Undertale/Earthbound: Megalo Strike Back (Epic Orchestral Suite) Undertale/Earthbound: Megalo Strike Back (Epic Orchestral Suite)

Cheers, thanks for sharing and welcome to Newgrounds. What string library is that? The piano sounds a little quantized to me - work on phrasing and pedal? Looking forward to checking out more of your work.

TristanGray responds:

Thank you.
When it comes to libraries, vast majority of them comes from East-West and it's Composer Cloud. As for the strings- each instrument in the section contains two layers, of two different libraries layered together. It's not a common practice, but it's just my way.
And that is correct- the piano is quantized, which may not have been the best idea now that I think about it...

Super!Charge!!Action!!! Super!Charge!!Action!!!

Wow, this is great; love that little drop at 1:15, and the lead entry at 2:15. Would love to see a vid of how you put this together.

Demon-Wolf responds:

Thanks for the kind words.

A Dream Of My Own A Dream Of My Own

Hey man, thought I'd share some points from the judging, hope this is helpful.

I had a difficult time judging this, because I felt it was like 30-35 seconds of contest-winning awesome and then you kind of fizzle out. You have a great Tim Burton / Danny Elfman quality to the opening; several other people created music-box textures like this, but yours was clearly the best.

I didn't like your brass entrance or ending here.. it felt like you ran out of ideas and went "ta da". Work on transitions, blending from one texture to another. You proved you can creat a compelling orchestral texture, the next step is to show you can chain them together and really take the listener on a journey.

Looking forward to hearing more of your work!

mmoscat responds:

Hi there!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write these notes, I'm glad you liked the orchestral texture, I'll definitely keep in mind your comment about the transitions when writing a new piece in the style!

I will be adding more music to NG soon :-D

Apocalypse 2012 Apocalypse 2012

Hey Peter, great piece. I had a couple of comments from the judging that I hope are helpful. Take or leave my comments of course :D

You got dinged a little because we felt that the overall temperament of the piece was somewhat flat compared to the other entrants. I think one problem is that your drums sit very aggressively in the mix, and take away from the changes in orchestration that you provide. The overall impression is sort of a relentless smash-smash-smash that makes the piece difficult to listen to. Even the softer sections still have FFF drums smashing away. You have a great melody buried in the mix at the 3:00 mark, I'd love to hear you let that really soar, but to do that you have to bring the drums down a little. If you try to emphasize *everything*, you really wind up emphasizing nothing.

In your orchestration, I think you'll get a more powerful sound if you use your horns in a percussive way. One of the things that Zimmer does is to use like 8 or 16 horns in a little cluster, and it goes "blat" in a very satisfying manor. Check out Stravinsky, Rite of Spring for some similar effects. So, the idea is to not just use single-note melodies in the brass, or even other instruments, but really fill out the harmonies and use extra instruments to provide depth to the sound.

Great work overall, congratulations on the top 8! A very professional sound. I know its difficult to get epic sounding drums to punch through like that, and you have that nailed here, so hats off.

EvilRaccoon responds:

I'll take them ;)

It's cool, I know there a lot of problems with it, and the orchestra is infact too strong. As you say, try emphasise everything and nothing sounds emphasised. The Blat thing is actually something I really like, but never done it as I feel people would just hammer me for being a Zimmer rip off. However seeing some trailers other composers are still doing it too.

I think for an orchestral track this is really too dominated by percussion, and it's as you said too aggressive. I think next time I'll try something a little more subtle to begin with and build up from there, instead of coming on strong and pushing to nothing really.

Thanks for your comments. Really trying to improve on every new piece and it really helps to hear how it was judged. :)

Incantation (NGADM '11) Incantation (NGADM '11)

Very nice work man

Love the rhythm, love the blend of the old school hip hop lead with Halloween ambient stuff. Mixing was top-notch.

The only feedback I could give would be to agree with your points about the structure of the thing - I wasn't feeling like the break at 1:00 was connected with the amen break that you put in towards the end; i think the textures are too different? A totally trivial point. I really like this.

Birdinator99 responds:

Yeah, structure's the next improvement point I'll be working on. Glad you liked the mixing, and good luck to you!

Howls of the Wolves Howls of the Wolves

Lots of chracter

* Needs better production on the strings (bowing, crescendos, phrasings)
* Howling is cool
* You keep changing modes; sounding chinese at times and japanese at other times. Pick one and then trick it out;
* Use the pitch bender to bring some life into your zither part (hit note, do a super fast pitch wheel bend and release it so it snaps back for example)
* Shaker sounds like a drum machine, some way to spice it up?

ClimbLadders responds:

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna keep them in mind for the next song that I do. I'm proud to tell you though that I've been using dynamics recently =).

I can't tell the difference between Japanese rhythms and Chinese. But I'm gonna look into that.

Thanks for the review.

- LD - SatM (Remix) - LD - SatM (Remix)

Wow this is epic!

Like it lots, much better than my remix :D